Friday, January 1, 2010

Meditations on HOPE for 2010

Late last night, driving home from my New Years eve festivities, I started really thinking about 2010. I realized how much I want to have a theme that will direct my heart and prayers this year into deeper revelations of Jesus. I want my theme to be less about what I need or want and more about God's character. One of the things I've been faced with, countless times this year, is the reality of "HOPE". I love that, as believers, we have an eternal hope! Even in the face of trials, tribulations, and certain death... we can hope. I am so grateful that God revealed to us His character in this way, that He's so faithful to do what He says He'll do. So I decided to pull out some specific verses to meditate on this year, that I would behold this characteristic of God all year and would be changed by it. As I behold this one faucet of Him, I have no doubt that it will change my very DNA... it is the Word, after all!

It's my personal goal to read through these during every personal prayer time I have. Here are the verses that I have so far and why I love them so much:

Proverbs 23:15-19
My son, if your heart is wise, my heart too will be glad. My inmost being will exult when your lips speak what is right. Let not your heart envy sinners, but continue in the fear of the Lord all day. Surely there is a future and your hope will not be cut off. Hear my son and be wise, and direct your heart in the way.

~I love how this verse gives us the 1,2,3 of God's heart being glad in us. Each of us knows that God's love is constant, but as any child desires, I long to bring my heavenly Father gladness and delight in my everyday life. I also love how it charges us to "direct your heart". That's so good, it's challenging and I love it!

Jeremiah 29:11-13
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all of your heart.

~In this one, the word wholeness can also mean completeness, safety, soundness, health, peace, contentment. I also love this one because, like the last one, it gives a "how to" find God... Seek Him with all your heart! I love how clear cut God can be :)

Acts 5:3-5
More then that, we rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produced endurance and endurance produces character and character produces hope and hope does not put to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given us.

~ I don't know if I love all those things that produce hope, but I love hope... ! So it is what it is, eh? :) Yes, it is a constant reminder that as I walk through each of those challenging places of suffering, that I will for sure, no doubt about it... walk right into a place of hope.

Romans 12:12
Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.

~ Ok, this is just awesome. What a charge.

Hebrews 10:23
Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.

~ no explanation necessary. This is just all about God's character and I can't seem to get enough of who He is...! He is FAITHFUL.. and I am grateful.


I am stirred in my heart to not cling to worthless hope in the things of temporary value. It's like Allen Hood (one of my most favorite preachers) says... I want to have NO PLAN B... He is my salvation, He is my hope. He is steadfast and He will never fail to be who He is... Faithful.


1 comment:

Bethany said...

No plan b! I love it! Sounds like you're starting your year off in an incredible place!

Followers